This article will walk you through the process of applying for an extension of your Certificado Residencia Definitiva en Trámite.
What does this procedure consist of?
Those who already have a Residencia Definitiva application entered in the system, whose Certificado de Residencia Definitiva en Trámite has expired, may obtain a new document with an extended deadline. Once this application has been submitted, and as long as it is available, applicants will receive an email with the extension for 180 days from the expiration date of the previous document.
Important: Remember that you must wait 180 days to download your first extension.
To apply for your extension, you must go to Portal de Trámites Digitales and select Ampliación de Certificado de Residencia Definitiva en Trámite to start with your ClaveÚnica or your login account from the Servicio Nacional de Migraciones.
Once you are in, you will notice the following observations:
1. When the Extension of Certificado de Residencia Definitiva en Trámite has been obtained, you will have an extension of 180 days from the time you obtain the respective extension.
If the document has already been generated, you will NOT be able to obtain another one through this procedure. You will be able to do so within the next 150 days. Do not to lose it.
2. During the process of extending your Certificado de Residencia Definitiva en Trámite, you may engage in any lawful activity without other limitations than those established in the legal and regulatory provisions (Art. 80 of the Immigration Regulations).
3. The Extension of the Certificado de Residencia Definitiva en Trámite expires 180 days after the application for the extension. If your Residencia Definitiva is still in progress, you have the option of applying for a second extension.
4. To check the status of your Residencia Definitiva application, log in to the Sermig's website or visit the following LINK.
5. Remember that this procedure is free of charge. Never use your ClaveÚnica to obtain documents belonging to third parties.
Provide the application number and your father's last name, then click on siguiente.
The extension of Certificado de Residencia Definitiva en Trámite will be displayed. You will have to click on ampliación to download your certificate.
Your Extension is now valid for 180 days.