It is a residence permit granted by the Servicio Nacional de Migraciones to foreigners who intend to reside in Chile for a limited period of time. A Residencia Temporal permit is granted to those who can prove that they have family ties or interests in the country and whose residence is considered useful and convenient. In general terms, it allows them to engage in any activity in the country, with no other limitations than those established by law, as long as the immigration subcategory to which they belong allows it. It is granted for a maximum period of two years, unless it is for the subcategory of Trabajadores de Temporada (Seasonal workers). This may be valid for up to five years. 

The spouse or partner of the temporary resident, the children of the temporary resident, of his/her spouse or partner (as long as they are under 18 years of age or are disabled) and the children over the age of 18 but under 24, may apply for Residencia Temporal as dependents, as long as they are studying in an educational institution recognized by the State. 

The Residencia Temporal Permits have 16 subcategories which are as follows:

  • Reunificación Familiar (Family Reunification).
  • Extranjeros que desarrollan actividades lícitas remuneradas (Foreigners who engage in legal remunerated activities).
  • Extranjeros que busquen establecerse en el país con el objetivo de estudiar en establecimientos educacionales reconocidos por el Estado (Foreigners seeking to reside in the country for the purpose of studying in educational institutions recognized by the State).
  • Trabajadores de temporada (Seasonal workers).
  • Oportunidades laborales (Employment opportunities).
  • Extranjeros sujetos a la custodia de Gendarmería de Chile (Foreigners subject to the custody of Gendarmería de Chile).
  • Extranjeros que se encuentren en Chile por orden de Tribunales de Justicia Nacionales (Foreigners who are in Chile by order of National Courts of Justice).
  • Razones humanitarias (Humanitarian reasons).
  • Personas acogidas a acuerdos internacionales (Persons under international agreements).
  • Religiosos de culto reconocidos oficialmente (Officially recognized religious cults).
  • Extranjeros que se encuentren bajo tratamiento médico (Foreigners under medical treatment).
  • Extranjeros jubilados y para rentistas (Retired foreigners and rentiers).
  • Ex titulares de Residencia Definitiva (Former Residencia Definitiva holders).
  • Inversionistas (Investors).
  • Permiso de negocio de múltiple entrada (Multiple entry business permit).
  • Refugiados y asilados políticos (Refugees and political asylum seekers).